History

Walthall & Drake was formed in 1944 when Orville Walthall and John Drake, two professors of accounting at Cleveland College (now Case Western Reserve) bought the practice of another professor at the college, Robert W. Agler, whom they used to work for on a part-time basis.

Walthall and Drake were determined to build a solid accounting practice based on their teachings. They were committed to providing quality services at affordable prices with an emphasis on the client relationship.

Over the years, the firm has had a successful history of mergers, never straying from the original commitment to provide high-quality, cost-effective services, while delivering stellar client service.

Now, as a Top 15 accounting firm in the Northeast Ohio with four offices, we offer a complete range of assurance, tax, and business advisory services to a variety of clients and industries.

Below is a timeline that shows how the firm has expanded and changed:

 

1944

Walthall & Drake forms in Cleveland with three employees

1999

Tischler, Beard, Wallace & Co. merges with Walthall & Drake

The firm name changes to Walthall, Drake & Wallace LLP (WD&W)


2001

The firm expands to Mentor with the merger of Swearingen & Swearingen

The firm outgrows their downtown Cleveland headquarters and moves to Rockside Road in Independence to conveniently serve both clients and employees


2005

Veres & Co. merges with WD&W

2010

WD&W merges with Enterprise Business Advisors CPAs, further strengthening its east side presence in Mentor

2011

The firm is a Plain Dealer Top Workplace, an honor they have won every year since

2012

WD&W establishes a presence in both Amherst and Wooster is with the merger of Frank, Seringer & Chaney, Inc.

The firm passes the 50-employee mark


2014

Firm rebrands as Walthall CPAs, launches a new website, and sets up its first 360 blog

2015

Walthall CPAs listed as a Top 15 CPA firm in Northeast Ohio (Crain’s Cleveland)